Summer 2018 Overall Forecast
- The temperature forecast in Texas is expected to be hotter-than-normal for the ERCOT system, with below-normal expected precipitation.
- This forecast is an overall expectation for the entire state not just the Greenville area. Our area is expected to be about like last year with the possibility of a few more 100 degree days.
- Retirement of several generation plants in recent years combined with increased growth in Texas has contributed to lower-than-normal operating reserves.
- A total of 5,500 megawatts of generation was retired in 2017.
- Conservation will be important this summer, especially during the hours of 3-7 p.m. on days with increased temperatures.
What is ERCOT, where does GEUS fit in?
- The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is the electric power grid operator for 85% of the state of Texas.
- GEUS does own generation locally but we are also members of ERCOT.
- Having local generation and a diverse power portfolio protects GEUS from high market prices.
- Being a member of ERCOT allows GEUS to buy and sell electricity to ensure the lowest cost possible for our customers.
- GEUS is committed to assisting the rest of the state in the case of an emergency.
Why is this important for me to know?
- As a Community-Owned Public Power Utility, it is always our goal to keep the community informed, engaged and involved.
- Lower-than-normal reserves combined with hotter-than-normal temperatures creates the potential for rotating outages.
- As always, GEUS is preparing throughout the utility to be ready to serve.
Additional information about ERCOT Grid Conditions can be found here.