GEUS is a Public Power utility. That means your utility is community-owned and not for profit.
Greenville became the first municipally-owned, public power electric utility in Texas in 1891 when privately-owned companies were only interested in servicing large cities such as Dallas and Ft. Worth. Greenville citizens took destiny into their own hands and began producing their own power. Today, more than 125 years later, GEUS continues to provide this vital service to our community.
Public Power has a long history nationwide of supplying electricity to communities when investor-owned utilities wouldn’t or couldn’t provide this crucial service. The nation’s 2000+ community-owned utilities currently supply power to 49 million people in 49 states and 5 U.S territories. The communities range in size from being very small to the largest public power system which is owned by the citizens of Los Angeles, California. San Antonio is the 2nd largest city in the U.S. receiving public power.
Municipally-owned, public power utilities only answer to their customers. Decisions are made locally by citizens of the community. Because public power utilities are owned by their communities and are not motivated by profits, rates are typically lower than investor-owned utilities and reliability is higher. Public power utilities value providing local customer service such as local offices with pay centers.
GEUS is proud to be your local public power utility.
Public Power Gives Back
- GEUS provides a GFT (general fund transfer) to the City which supports the City of Greenville Economic Development Board with 1% of adjusted gross revenues, and transfers an additional 5% of adjusted gross revenues to the City annually.
- GEUS employs local people who are invested in our community.
- GEUS is committed to the economic development of our community and bringing new businesses to the community.
- GEUS takes pride in its long history of delivering reliable power to our customers. Ask our customers how we're doing!
- GEUS has very high reliability rates and consistently exceeds industry benchmarks.